A search mission was launched to find a certified skipper who went missing at sea off the coast of Capri Island
On a low illumination night, a dense fog disoriented a seasoned sailor making a short transit between vessels in a small boat. His disappearance led to a multi-faceted 10-day search directed by MAGNUS ground teams.
The initial report
- Upon learning of the disappearance, the Italian Coast Guard sent a vessel to search the area of the lost sailor. The MAGNUS Control Center contacted a local asset and assigned them to join the search and rescue team to pass critical information from local authorities to the Control Center.
- The Control Center established a special investigation team assigned to gathering and synchronizing information gathered from multiple sources.
- A MAGNUS rescue team, consisting of maritime, aerial surveillance, diving, drone, and sonar experts, was deployed from Israel to Italy.
- The rescue team conducted thorough topographical, tide, and current calculations, analyzed charts of hundreds of kilometers of territorial waters, and developed an optimal search plan focused near the island of Sardinia.
- MAGNUS leveraged its diplomatic relations with the Israeli Embassy in Italy to incorporate Italian-Hebrew translators into the team, and to distribute recent photos of the missing person throughout the surrounding communities.
- The MAGNUS rescue team led intensive search operations over the next 10 days. Search efforts included over 30 drone flights, 10 search and rescue helicopter flights totaling over 30 hours, sub-surface scans along the rugged cave formations by divers, seabed scans by divers, seabed scans by sonar equipment, shoreline search parties on foot, and tens of interviews conducted with family members and the yacht party.
- After 10 days of intensive searching at sea, the MAGNUS rescue team was able to locate the remains of the missing man in the open waters of Capri, about 150 miles from the marina from which he disappeared.
Use the mouse wheel to zoom in and out on the dynamic map
You can also open the map in a large view in a new tab
The rescue team
Mission No. #3212
Political protests dismantled a fragile logistical system, leading to an eruption of violence. As roadways were systematically blocked, small groups of travelers found themselves surrounded by angry mobs.
Mission No. #1097
An ill-prepared and over-confident group of hikers pushed themselves to the limit in one of the most remote regions of the world. With supplies diminished, a member of the group was overcome by severe altitude sickness..